top of page
Boy swimming background photo

Environmental Public Health

Food Safety

Health Department staff assist local food vendors with understanding and complying with regulations and standards in the Missouri Food Code and the Christian County local food ordinance. Food inspectors review area food establishments at least twice each year. A food score (based on a perfect score of 100) is issued and should be clearly displayed in a public area for the consumer's information and convenience.

Health Department staff encourage residents to be informed consumers. Look for the establishment's most recent inspection score, or call our office for results before eating out.


Contact the Health Department any time you have a concern or wish to make a complaint, especially if you observe unsafe food handling practices in our community.

Further Info:

Food Safety


Christian County has a county-wide onsite wastewater ordinance established to protect public health and the county's natural resources. The Health Department encourages residents to understand state and local regulations and the importance of having a safe and effective wastewater system installed.


The Department requires systems to be permitted and installers to be certified. Staff provide installer training throughout the year. Please contact the Health Department for further information on installer trainings. 

Learn more ->

Well Water Testing

Well Water Testing

Our certified laboratory offers water testing for the presence or absence of bacteria. We also offer a chemical analysis that identifies the levels of pH, nitrate, chloride, sulfate, fluoride, iron, manganese and lead. This test provides a baseline for drinking water quality. Staff can also collect samples for official water tests. Official water tests are $40.00.

Well water samples are collected in a bottle purchased prior to collecting the sample, and should be brought to our office Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to noon or from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Water samples should not be collected prior to a holiday.


The test fee for a bacterial test is $15.00 and results will be available the next business day after 4:00 pm.

Complaints Record Requests

Complaints and Record Requests

To file a food complaint or a wastewater complaint, please complete a complaint form and submit it to the Health Department. An inspector will be scheduled to investigate the complaint within five workings days, and will call the complainant with findings.

Please complete a records request form and submit it to the Health Department to receive records on complaints, child care provider inspections, food inspections, laboratory testing results, and wastewater inspection results. Please note: we can provide food inspection results and stream testing results over the phone without a records request.

Environmental FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How can we improve our food inspection score?

Use this Kitchen Self-Inspection Checklist to ensure you are following safe food handling practices.


How much are food fees?

Permits are required for vending food in Christian County and fees will apply, unless exempt. Food permit fees are pro-rated per quarter for the current year. See details in the fee schedule

Will I need a permit to sell at the Farmer's Market?

Yes, please fill out and submit a temporary or annual permit application, depending on the length of time that you prefer to sell at the Farmer's Market. If you would like assistance determining which permit application to submit, please call our office at 417-581-7285.

How can I file a complaint?

Please complete and submit a complaint form.

How should I collect a water sample if I want to test my well water?

Follow these instructions carefully to ensure you collect a sterile water sample.

Can you help me understand my water test results?

This handout explains the terms that will be used in the water test results report you receive from Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS).

bottom of page