Our certified laboratory offers water testing for the presence or absence of bacteria for a fee of $10.00. This test is collected in a bottle purchased prior to collecting the sample, and brought to our office Monday through Thursday. The results of this bacterial test will be available the next business day at 4:00 p.m.
We also offer the New Well Series, which is a chemical analysis performed by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) Laboratory that identifies the levels for: pH, nitrate/nitrogen, chloride, sulfate, fluoride, iron, manganese and lead. This test can help residents with private wells determine a baseline for drinking water quality. In addition to the New Well Series, our Health Department staff will collect a bacterial sample to be analyized in our certified laboratory. The fee for this service is $35.00. Complete this form, enclose a check or money order for $35.00 and mail to our office at Christian County Health Department, PO Box 340, Ozark, MO 65721
Well water should be tested at least once a year. It should also be tested when any of the following conditions exist:
- someone in the household becomes pregnant,
- there is a change in water smell, taste or color,
- new parts are added to the system, like a new pump, new pipes or a water softener,
- the well runs dry, and then water comes back,
- a water treatment system is added to fix a problem,
- someone in the household has an unexplained gastrointestinal illness that may be accompanied by vomiting or diarrhea, or
- the well casing is underwater due to flooding.
Complete and submit this form if you need an official water test, such as for the sale of a home.